My Almost Perfect Office Space

Calling all inspired decorators! I need your help! I have the perfect spot to call my office. A space where I can dream, plan, write, edit, research, read, and generally feel productive. A space where there are no demanding children demanding my attention. No dishes to wash, no laundry to do, no dogs to take care of (at least not my own,) no household chores begging to be done. Basically it has none of the distractions that derail my creative productivity at home. The only problem is…to be creative I kinda need to feel creative and this office space hasn’t been helping with that. In fact it’s sorta of hindered it to be honest. There’s so much that’s truly wonderful about it. The views, the beauty of the dark wood walls, the lovely purple hued plaid furniture, my great big elegant desk. It is elegant and sophisticated for sure, but it lacks…something. A certain warmth and brightness.

The problem is the room is what it is. I can’t turn it around to face the sun as it rises and sets. I’m not going to restain the walls or replace the furniture. So what I’m looking for may be unachievable but I’m hoping that those of you out there that have a gift and talent for transforming spaces into lovely, inspired, gorgeous rooms, whether you do it professionally or not, might be willing to take a crack at my office. I’m hoping you might offer me your best advice on bringing that breath of creativity encouraging, warmth and light into the space. Thoughts?!

You Might Also Like

77 Comments

• Monica

Hm maybe one of those outside rugs so it doesn’t get too dirty and it’s not super expensive? And I was thinking definitely window treatments. The lighter the better. And tons of fun and bright pieces throughout the whole room just to give it that fun accent. And for the fireplace, a big white one under the TV which would also hide the cords and stuff. Also IKEA, lol. They have tons of stuff to hide cords 🙂

January 8, 2018 at 7:29 pm Reply
  • Tanya Mathers Architecture

Hi Katherine,

This is an amazing opportunity express some ideas that you may like for Utah ranch. We have notionally titled our design as “bark and linen” A little bark, given the nature of the room and your love of your animals, but linen to add that additional touch of lightness to your space. We would see your office / work space decorated in way where everything feels clean, not fussy, but rich in texture and organic colour to match the ranch. The base of your space is beautiful with wood paneling, though understanding that this dark natured material restricts the amount of reflected light that comes into the room.

Ultimately we would see this space as being a rich layered style that flirts with Southern Sass but effortlessly has that California sex appeal. We would define that with 6 key points to make the space light, bright, airy, but before that, we would see the space as a little home away from home, a place where you can cosy up in privacy with a girlfriend/s for a quiet drink, but also conduct work, making business phone calls and getting things done. This space is not a ‘man cave’, though an eloquent female equivalent that relaxes you, empowers you and embodies your needs.

We would look to introduce:

Desk area: Behind your desk we would look to introduce some metallic. This could be golds and warm coloured textured paintings or fretwork to allow some reflective light to bounce off the back wall space assisted by a pendant light above the desk to of an ‘art deco’ type to help promote the spread of light while providing character to the zone. We would also look to integrate a lighter colour table/desk and seat with a task light/s to brighten up this work space and work surface. This would help define two zones within this immediate space, one being your intimate talking space where the couches are positioned, and the second being ‘main’ work zone which are ‘lighter and brighter’ and promoting positive energy, not dark and gloomy. The desk with its rustic nature would also tie nicely into the ranch aesthetic.

Bookcase: To the rear of the area there is an opportunity to introduce a bookcase/s which is not purely for storage of books, but to display shelving for ornaments, nick-nacks, trinkets, and treasured items held dear to your heart which have been gathered along lifes’ journey. Adding a touch of colour to this book case will allow a focal point of the storage area. The bookcase would be in a lighter paneling / colouring further brightening the room.

Pictures: Your treasured pictures, including those drawn by your husband, would look to be reintroduced into the space with new metallic frames along with more artistic artwork to add another ‘layer’ the walls. These varying sizes and shapes with different metallic frames, pallet and tones in light colours would to help reflect light and contrast throughout the space.
    Rugs: Layering of robust rugs, 2 or 3 on the floor surface to soften the dark nature of the floor. These would be a base layer or the dark floor tiles you currently have are ‘lightened’. The rugs should be a lighter, textured, organic/natural fibre type rug to the larger space, in a overlayed by a more intricate and textured (but somewhat lighter rug) to the sofa area. By introducing a lighting textured carpet/rug in large format it would define the area and provide a lighter surface and contrast to the character of the floor tiles. These also being robust can withstand a beating with Ranch life. A nice feature would also include a sheep skin rug for a ‘cosy’ spot for your fur children to reside. This would also allow additional layering and additional softness to the space.

Lamps: We would look to re-allocate lamps given your current lighting does not ‘shed’ much light. Pretty but unpractical when it ultimately should do both. With the new pendant light we would do more lighting throughout the space and supplement this with more ornamental type lamps that shed additional light and give more control over ‘mood’ and ‘zone’ lighting within the room. The various lamps would be of different styles and tones to introduce textures and patterns into the space given you have a very neutral pallet against the wall surfaces being so dark, creating light and bright and airy. White, Gold and rattan lamps in various sizes to give a different aesthetic to your current lighting. Those lighter in texture to the walls will allow some definition but work well tonally with the contrasting gold and white to have some aesthetic balance.

Fireplace: Enlarge your fire place to draw attention and focus, not overstated but embodying the working ranch ideal. The fire place nominated in white with industrial kettle fire place insert would be finished by additional ornamentation with vases, flowers and greenery to the mantel. Concealing of cables via an internal in the wall run for AV and Audio equipment (and your Apple TV) above the fire place is a simple and clean solution and removes unsightly cords. Understanding concealing of cabling to other areas of the rooms is also of importance, namely your desk area, there a simple solutions to ‘disguise’ these including using docking stations, cable management systems to the underside of the desk, with concealment o fa single power cable underneath the run of rug nearest the adjacent outlet.

To help better visualise this overall aesthetic we have mocked up a very quick mood board for your space and is located via the link below:

We hope these very quick ideas, and very quick response, help bring some inspiration to your proposed woman cave and tie neatly into the overall ideal of the room. We would love to help you modify your space to see it become your little oasis on The Ranch.

Thanks again
    Tanya

January 8, 2018 at 7:31 pm Reply
    • Katherine Heigl

Wow Tanya, thanks so so much for taking so much time to thoughtfully pull together these beautiful ideas for me! I love the mood board and can’t wait to try to incorporate some of what you’ve pulled together!

January 9, 2018 at 10:48 pm Reply
      • Tanya Mathers Architecture

Hi Katherine,

Thank you so very much for your lovely reply. I have made a minor amendment to the board to show a larger image of the bookcase wall ans well as included a Ficus. Every good room needs a Ficus.

Once again thank you for letting us submit ideas for your gorgeous office.

Regards
        Tanya

January 12, 2018 at 1:31 am Reply
  • Nikki Alexander

What a great room and THAT VIEW!!! I’m no professional, just a creative lady with a live offs goods design and I definitely agree the fireplace is a little bit on the small side I think you do well-to-do some sort of mock fireplace maybe in a lighter tone even like a Gray tan cream to lighten up that space. They also make these really cool plastic covers for wires that run along the wall it’s basically like a U-shape and the backside as adhesive and you tuck all your wires into it and then just stick it to the wall it looks amazing! In dark rooms like that when you’re not willing to paint those beautiful walls (please don’t, they too pretty!!) Or completely replace the flooring the best thing you can do is focus on fabrics meaning rugs, curtains, pillows, etc…and lighting! I think you would do so well to have some more soft items in there while you got the couches and the arm chairs none of it has a lot of texture that’s visible, so I think if you were to do some curtains that don’t cover the windows that just kind of accent the height to the Room, in a lighter color, it would look incredible. As a woman on a budget I definitely hear you about not spending a lot on rugs, I would suggest getting a great tone on tone rug, something with a little bit of texture and a slight pattern but nothing too busy, With a scotch guard finish would make it usable for your ranch but also really beautiful, after all you don’t want to have to use an indoor outdoor green grass rug just because you know it’s gonna get walked on. Behind your desk, because of the shape of the wall, you could hang a mirror from the ceiling by a small chain, strips of leather, or something similar, which would reflect that amazing view back into the room. Good luck , I can’t wait to see what you do with it!!

January 8, 2018 at 8:57 pm Reply
  • Lisa Schofield

Hi Katherine,

I’ve sent you a Pinterest board I created called The Ranch Office. I think adding a beige hemp rug that is hard wearing would break up the dark wood floor, with pale organic green and lavender cushions that compliment the purple hues in your furniture and bring the natural colours from your view outside into your office. A low set rustic reclaimed timber bookshelf and hand woven wall hanging above will complete the space adding a touch of softness to the room.

Happy Decorating

Lisa Schofield x

January 8, 2018 at 9:17 pm Reply
  • Eveline

I would add some beige-coloured curtains using a Short curtain rod (like that: http://bit.ly/2CSXRSX ). Maybe some plants, light pillows and a rug (indoor/outdoor), voila im no professional at all Greetings from Germany

January 8, 2018 at 9:19 pm Reply
  • Johanna Kruse

Hi! 🙂 As a rug I would suggest some sheepskin or even reindeer (I personally would prefer fake ones bit that is up to you), so that would be either a light brown or a yellowish cream. Than I would put one or two nice natural white blankets on the sofa (consolidated of course, just ready for when needed they make the place more light and cosy even without being used). And I would choose one new lamp, either this kind: http://bit.ly/2qHZ9dR or perhaps, if you are bold and into it, some kind of chandelier. Concerning the cable tangle: trust your husband. 🙂 For the wall near the door I would chose a few meaningful pictures in natural white frames, golden frames or even one huge canvas picture, for example this: http://bit.ly/2qKZiNY But don’t hurry that one, choose your art wisely. 😉 But I can highly recommend that homepage for inspiration. Perhaps you even like cardboard animals, but I admit it’s a bit freaky (i have one): https://binged.it/2AFLq7n Have a lot of fun! Best regards!

January 8, 2018 at 9:23 pm Reply
  • Franziska Schweitzer

How about collecting and drying rose-petals, filling a woven bowl with them and placing a sweet-smelling candle in the middle? A bit like this: http://bit.ly/2EoUaRv
    Furthermore: fill it with the things you love – a picture that your child (somehow) drew, your favourite flower, your most precious book (put a whole bookcase in there, while you’re at it!), something you created yourself (pottery, masks, whatever). When I write I need to feel at home, to have my creativity close by… Try to find out which smell makes your mind wander and put up the flowers/herbs/plants in that room. For me, incense works fine because it reminds me of the time I’ve spent in India. Myrrh, Sandalwood, Frankincense, Cedar… these smells make me at once homesick and wanting to travel, rove, be out there.
    Creativity is not about a concept in the room. It’s about what is close to you, what makes you tick. It doesn’t have to fit together. No one is a flawless concept (and those who think they are are fooling themselves) and YOUR room needs to reflect that, needs to reflect who and what you are and a bit of what you aspire to be.

January 8, 2018 at 9:30 pm Reply
  • Elizabeth Tausch

I wrote out ideas and posted them, but I’m not sure if it posted. So, abbreviated version: Pottery Barn & Restoration Hardware have great linen or linen/cotton blend curtains. I think a natural rug from PB would be a great option. You can also layer a cowhide over a jute or seagrass rug. Or I would do a tan/cream persian/oriental style rug. Ballard Designs has pretty things! If you did a solid rug, you could add a print in your curtains in a neutral. Again, Ballard has some pretty prints for drapes!

January 8, 2018 at 9:31 pm Reply
  • Tiphaine

this piece is really beautiful but the problem is the natural brightness. I suggest you add mirrors or one but big enough to reflect the light outside. the color of your sweater is very pretty and goes very well with the room, plants of this pale pink color would give an even warmer side. Regarding the plugs of your devices, there are boxes that you can hang under the desk (in France we have) and it’s quite practical.
    I think I have gone around. Happy reading and very good week to you and your family

January 8, 2018 at 9:40 pm Reply
  • Rachel

Hey Katherine, I am currently a student of interior architecture and design. I have a couple of ideas that will hopefully be helpful. First of all I suggest a small thin layered shaggy rug in front of your desk of the colour beige or off-white (this might not be ideal to keep clean but it gives the room a bit more light) I also suggest that you enlarge your fireplace and replace some of of your lamps with ones that would expose more light. I also suggest in the open space at the back of your office that you add the bookshelf you mentioned (I suggest it would be made of either a light wood color such as Ash or Maple or plain white) and you can add other motifs and a vase of flowers maybe as well. Also next to the bookshelf you can add a small beanbag chair (or one of those round couch-like chairs with legs) and you can play with colours by adding some pastel cushions to the chair. Lastly I think you should add a modern clock on one of your walls (either white or a light wood Color) and perhaps a small round vintage mirror next to it or a frame maybe.. Try to manipulate your space and introduce light colours to brighten up your room by adding small details like cushions, a small couch, or a small coffee table (Ash or Maple coloured as well) more lamps or anything like that. Hope this helps, I’m a huge fan sending you love and good luck decorating! xx

January 8, 2018 at 9:40 pm Reply
  • Donna

Not going to lie, I subscribed to Those Heavenly Days because of this Instagram post. You’ve got me daydreaming here at home and ignoring my husband at the moment. There’s something about you that is modest and oh so no normal that I love, and asking for advice… gah, I love it! Anyways, I commented on Instagram but I’ll repeat on here: A big country braided rug & PLANTS! Above the window plant hangers with long flowing green plants, maybe some Lacey or linen like curtains to brighten up the space. Bird feeders/houses outside the window (my kids love watching the birds)? Perhaps a nice suncatcher? I love the wingback chairs (I thought maybe to replace the chairs with a lighter color and throw plaid blankets over them but later read that you did NOT want to replace the furniture). I like to be warm, maybe some big crocks with folded up lap blankets or the furniture being repositioned around your wood stove for a focal point, not sure if that’s centrally located however? I would hire a local artist for something amazing behind your desk. Maybe some copper accents of some sort. Maybe some viney/leafy-like garland over the windows or entrances. A really cool light fixture above your desk. I’ve been daydreaming about the possibilities! Fun project, have fun! Can’t wait for the after project video/pictures.

January 8, 2018 at 10:07 pm Reply
    • Katherine Heigl

Yes! A big braided rug sounds heavenly! So do plants!!! I don’t know why I didn’t think of that, I love bringing the outdoors in! Thank you for dreaming on my space!

January 9, 2018 at 10:43 pm Reply
  • Sara Hunt

Hi!!!
    So here’s what I would do….

I would go with a beautiful cowhide rug or two… some nice tans and whites would really add some warmth, also being cowhide it would go along with the ranch feeling.

I would definitely add a bookshelf, something amazing, think antique, some unique color, chippy rustic. And fill it with beautiful, colorful antique books.

Cord covers…. you can get them on amazon, Hobby Lobby etc. something in a nice tan or brown linen would look nice for under your desk.

For additional warmth I would look into these curtains, I have them in a jute color, LOVE them! They just add so much warmth and texture to in a room.

Although I’m just a bored stay at home mom, I love all things home and antique!

Give me a holler if you need any more help:)

January 8, 2018 at 10:13 pm Reply
    • Katherine Heigl

I love the bookshelf idea so much! Antique books sounds so up my ally! And thank you for the cord cover link!!

January 9, 2018 at 10:45 pm Reply
  • RHONDA RUTHERFORD

Hi, thanks for sharing your world with us!

I am not a decorator or that crafty lol but just wanted to throw my two cents in! Your office is gorgeous!! I know you don’t want to replace the furniture and I don’t think you have to! Joss&Main/Wayfair are great for buying small accents and I think that’s all you really need! You can try to brighten the room up just by adding some white/cream or bright throws and pillows. I see you have those already but maybe changing the color will help brighten it up. You can also buy some white accent pieces or even metals (silver/gold) for the tables, etc. I think that will make a huge difference. I am also very curious to see what people say about the chords. I hate those suckers, so looking forward to reading all the comments. =)

January 8, 2018 at 10:45 pm Reply
  • Amber J Corlett

Good Evening,

Im Amber I am 33 and have a daughter who is 10. I live in Ogden, Utah.
    So from what I can gather you need a sanctuary thats full of creative imagination that inspires your mind, heart and soul but you also want to be able to take the stress off in your sanctuary during the day or night but need a sanctuary that you can relax in as well as create but want to keep the rustic furniture and colors of the walls but need more vibrance and modernation.
    I can definitely assist with that…im stock full of all kinds of Ideas. Here is a simple one: First we need to get Mirrored Wall Decals all on one of the walls that gets the most Sun During the day which might be hard but we can do it…Then we need to incorporate a chair or two or a curtain and a rug ect…of boldness with vibrant colors like Violet, Turquoise, Fuchsia ect…Then we need to bring in a few Neutral colors that are relaxing and bring peace Yellow, Peach, baby blue or light ect those could be throw pillows and a painting or two of a calm pond and a blanket thats white…next we need to bring in a piece or two of moder art work and i would suggest maybe a native american art piece or two as well and maybe have your children help with a familia art piece as well…your Santuary will be in full bloom.
    Talk soon.
    Amber C.

January 9, 2018 at 12:00 am Reply
  • Emma

Katie, I say put a red throw/ persian type rug where your sitting area is, light colors wont work bc of it being a working ranch. There is a type of cord which will hide ur wires, can buy to run ur cords down your wall and the same for your desk..attached them to your desk legs to organize the wires and hide them, ur husband seemed to know about it. As for the area where there isn’t anything, I would put shelves in there, shelves and lighting…for books and reference material. Lighting works wonders, pictures with lights on them will work and draw the eye, artsy type pictures that reflects you,the ranch etc. Ur stove, if it keeps your room warm, then the size is fine, if Not put a bigger one in there for sure. I’m big on lighting. Lighting that u can control and make it bright or warm, lights above the shelves. I notice u have an intake register on your wall so a book shelf is too much there, remember u want openness and space with a warm feeling that why I say shelves. Not sure why those black tin lights r there, yes they r nice but if I’m going to have lighting then I want lighting that will work for me. Lighting that I can read by,control an use skillfully.

January 9, 2018 at 12:52 am Reply
  • Rebekah Outland

Hi Katherine!

I LOVE your office! I’m a stay at home momma and love design and creative planning, so what I can add is only what I would want as a feeling if it were my room. I love the dark sanctuary den-like feeling of the space. I would add vintage rugs, several! Different sizes and colors (but along the same palette) misc. placed around the room and under your desk. I love worn, warm feeling oriental style rugs. I love the idea of an open face book shelf, scattered with old books, plants, and family heirlooms. Fluffy warm throw blankets over the chairs and couches. This sounds strange but I picture a vintage table runner or floor runner hung behind your desk, possibly from the ceiling. Lastly, I love vintage (as you have probably realized through my post), so I would hang a few vintage prints or paintings to bring depth, warmth, and light in. Good luck! What ever you do in this space will look amazing, the canvas of the room alone is stunning!!

Can’t wait to see the final results!
    Becky O.

January 9, 2018 at 1:52 am Reply
  • Kristie Wright

Hi Katherine! I am not a designer or professional decorator, I just love decorating my own home and shuffling things around in my house constantly to change up the look. My husband loves it 🙂 So when I think of your office, I envision a rustic & romantic space that is cozy and inspiring. The walls are beautiful and while lightening those would help – they are just too beautiful to touch and they give it that rustic vibe every ranch should have! So if possible I would consider changing the floors. Maybe a lighter tile in a light shade of grey. I like to use small practical solutions that don’t require a full overhaul so if the floors are not an option, then a rug will make a huge difference. Maybe a couple of them in both sitting areas. A light grey or cream rug or even one with a grey & cream pattern . Something braided might be more practical since it is functioning as a ranch office as well. Also, add more pillows to your sofa in a lighter purple, cream, grey, or you could even throw a dusty pink in there. Use patterns like soft pale florals or pastel quilted pillows. Rather than using lighting with black or dark lamp shades, I would use cream shades, like the ones you have on the desk and in the sitting area. If you wanted to add some eclectic flair, you could add some copper accents, maybe even a copper floor lamp. It is a beautiful space! Don’t worry about matchy match, trust yourself and have fun with it! Good luck!!

January 9, 2018 at 2:27 am Reply
  • @chelseacsharp

Hey girl!

Definitely get a large natural fiber rug (jute or seagrass) and then a smaller rug to layer on top ( lighter patterned color indoor/outdoor rug, or faux cow hide which I’ve heard clean up pretty easily).

Light colored, streamlined valances hung above the windows (not actually covering the windows, you want all the light you can get!) would break up the dark walls and brighten the space up and add some texture. I’m thinking white/linen with black windowpane print.

I love Josh’s artwork! I suggest switching the frames out for metallic gold frames with white matting. Also mixing in bigger frames and other artwork or black and white photography would balance out that wall well. The metallic frames would really help bounce light around!

Metallic finishes are really great at reflecting light around, and you can mix them too! Usually up to three different finishes (brass, chrome, bronze, copper, black, etc).

Getting a lighter/brighter colored desk and desk chair would really help the space not feel so dark, saturated, or heavy.

A larger, white fireplace would help you stay warmer AND would look balanced in the space.

Anlarge framed art piece on that empty wall would be great! The glass would bounce light around, OR a very large leaning mirror would be gorgeous AND reflect the light from the adjacent windows!’ (Anthropologie has great ones).

You could always look into adding recessed lighting in the space, or even solar tubes that let natural light in during the day (which I don’t think are that expensive…last i checked, $150 per tube + installation). There’s also solar tubes/recessed lighting combinations. Solar tubes by day, recessed lighting by night.

You can always try daylight light bulbs in your lamps, etc. I actually like to mix light bulbs: daylights with soft whites. I use my daylight bulbs during the day to just aid in making a bright space….but at night, they feel so cold…so I’ll turn those off and turn on my table and floor lamps that have soft white bulbs in them. Bright by day, cozy by night!

They have kits to hide the tv cords! You drill into the wall and then fish the wires down through the wall and pull out from another hole at the bottom.

January 9, 2018 at 3:08 am Reply
  • Liz Toombs

A few ideas come to mind to help you solve your decor questions:
    1. Add some area rugs in natural fibers (ie sisal, seagrass, wool) under both seat groupings. If wool- choose a light tan colored rug in an antiqued pattern to help hide dirt but not compete with the other patterns and textures in the room. If sisal or seagrass, these are natural in color and you could choose a simple pattern (ie diamond) for visual interest. Using rugs with natural fibers fits the ranch vibe and brings the outdoor elements in.
    2. Add a large piece of artwork suspended from the ceiling behind your desk. Consider an interesting mirror for light reflection or a large landscape painting.
    3. The wall to the fight of the desk could definitely use a bookcase to give some height to the sight line of the room. The unit should be open-back so as not to be too visually heavy in the dark room. Hen you could add some light colored accessories (white ceramic), books, personal mementos, photos to the shelves.
    4. Yes, the fireplace is too small for the space. A larger one would be more appropriate in scale and still serve as a display surface for you. The cords for the TV should either run inside the wall (requires drilling into the paneling) or be gathered into a cord channel that could be stained/painted to match the wall color.
    5. Beyond that, I would recommend some small touches: chic faux deer antlers hanging on the wall (maybe above the bookcase), a decorative tray (perhaps white marble) to hold your grandmother’s glassware, and an oversized floor basket to hold throw blankets or magazines.

I own a decorating company- PDR Interiors- and love helping people solve problems like these in their spaces. Your space is beautiful and has great bones! A little tweaking and you’ll have it looking exactly how you want!

January 9, 2018 at 3:58 am Reply
  • Crystal Sabourin

I am not a designer but I do love to put together a good mood board!

I love your space but I feel like your desk and dark side tables are adding to the overall darkness of the room. I have attached a mood board for you in which I have some lighter wood items to compliment the dark wood stain on the walls. I was thinking you should try to pull in some of the wood colour that is on the backs of those fabulous chairs.
    I found an electric fireplace that I thought would blend in nicely with the walls and not stand out too much. The good thing with the one I chose is that it just plugs in and the cords from your tv can just hang behind it.
    I also posted some artwork ideas. I myself, love a great horse photo. I thought it would be nice to mix and match those with your husbands art and some other bright abstract art pieces. I would likely chose to reframe your husbands art into frames that are white with white matting to make them pop against the dark walls.
    A nice jute rug or 2 would really soften the space as well.
    Given your beautiful view I would not recommend any drapes. If they are not necessary for privacy I would leave them out.
    As for a bookcase…I myself find it challenging to keep a bookcase looking polished and tidy so I would instead opt for a sideboard. One that may have a couple shelves underneath that you could put some books but nothing too overwhelming.
    Behind your desk I would try to find a nice woven tapestry that compliments the purples that you seem to love!
    Sorry for the rambling! I hope you get some great ideas and your space becomes everything you hoped it would be! Best of luck!

January 9, 2018 at 4:24 am Reply
    • Katherine Heigl

Crystal thank you so much for all these ideas, it sounds to me like you really know what you’re doing! You may not do it for a living but you’re a designer at heart for sure! For some reason I’m not seeing any attachments on any of these comments, I must be doing something wrong but I will figure it out and check out your mood board asap!

January 9, 2018 at 10:29 pm Reply
      • Crystal Sabourin

Thank you so much for your reply. I noticed that it didn’t show up! My apologies. Please have a look!

January 10, 2018 at 3:32 pm Reply
      • Crystal Sabourin

Sorry, one more thing…I know a lot of people are recommending plants, but if the space is generally cold I’m not sure how well plants will do. (I know cold, I’m from Canada lol) but adding plants seasonally would be a great idea 🙂

January 10, 2018 at 3:36 pm Reply
  • Mandy Cox

Hello from South Texas! How fun is this?!

Before getting started, you must know… I am not an interior designer, nor do I play one on TV. But I never stop dreaming of helping people create spaces they love… so I hope this helps you!

Your room and view are beautiful but all the dark furniture and accents are keeping it too dark. At first, I desperately wanted to convince you to paint your walls white (Shoji White SW# 7042, in fact, which is my favorite white), but after more thought I realize that the walls and floors were probably meant to be left dark to achieve a certain vibe that you like.

Let’s lighten the space with some rugs, new furniture and new lighter wall décor. Also, incorporate a few vintage pieces make the room feel more collected and homey.

Choose a wider white fireplace. The white will pop off the wooden wall and create more visual appeal. Find some fun old books or meaningful knickknacks that are lighter than the wall color so that they pop. Hire an electrician to come out and move the wires behind you wood planks and down the wall to go cordless.

Replace the frames featuring your husband’s art with something lighter (or spray paint the existing frames white). Now the dark frames won’t get lost on the dark wall.

The current coffee table is cute but looks black in the video. That table, the black sideboard under your husband’s art and your desk are all too dark for the space. Would you be able to chalk paint any of them cream/white? If not, just replace with a lighter color – white or lighter wood.

Speaking of your desk – the shape is very cute, but you mentioned hating the cords. I believe your best option is to replace the desk with one that has a back. I’d also replace the side table from between the two chairs with something that has a marble top and a wooden bottom.

Add one colorful rug under your desk and couch area that ties together the colors of your furniture (light purples and pinks and cream/white) and another smaller but shaggy cream/white rug under the little area with two chairs.

Pop a few mirrors on the walls to help bounce light around the room and add a bookshelf behind the desk. Style the bookshelf with family photos and vintage books. Add a few gold table lamps and a gold floor lamp.

Here’s what I have in mind: goo.gl/RsNhaK

Enjoy your heavenly space.

January 9, 2018 at 5:23 am Reply
    • Katherine Heigl

Wow Mady, I love the vibe you’ve created in my head! Thank you for taking the time to so thoughtfully come up with all these wonderful suggestions! I love everything vintage and totally agree, everything is just way too dark! I’m going to look into replacing some of the darker pieces with something lighter and brighter!

January 9, 2018 at 10:23 pm Reply
  • Maddison Schneider

Hi Katherine!
    Here are some of my thoughts…

So for the big open wall I would get a white or cream colour rustic sorda book shelf and maybe have a nice family picture above it, I think that would be a good idea! I also think that maybe on the big open area on the floor you could get a black kinda rug almost like horse hair (please don’t use real horse hair) I think that might make it a little more homey!! Thank you❤ if you read it!!

January 9, 2018 at 5:35 am Reply
  • Sam

All I have is my pinterest board for office inspo! I’m currently working on mine, too! Good luck!
    Sam
    X

January 9, 2018 at 8:40 am Reply
  • Kristina

Hey Katherine,
    you have a very nice office there which you could perfectly revalue and decorate with some copper: copper lamps (overhead lights, desk lights), copper decoration (candle holder, decorational elements on the table, a basket where you could put some nice cozy blankets, picture frames, mirrors etc). I love copper, especially with dark wood. It is just a perfect combination. Add some candles and flowers et voilà! 🙂
    But the most important thing is to have fun decorating!
    So: have fun, viel Spaß and all the best from Germany,
    Kristina 🙂

January 9, 2018 at 8:46 am Reply
    • Katherine Heigl

I love copper too! I’m going to start searching for great copper accents right now! Thank you!

January 9, 2018 at 10:19 pm Reply
  • Shell

Lorenacanalrugs.com has washable, comfortable, stylish rugs. Don’t you dare use window treatments! You will suppress light if you do! Mirrors are a good choice for making a cozy spot look bigger and reflecting light. And you definitely need to get new lamps!

January 9, 2018 at 1:55 pm Reply
    • Katherine Heigl

Thank you for the rug link! I can’t wait to check it out! Finding the right rugs has been the bane of my decorating existence thus far!

January 9, 2018 at 10:16 pm Reply
  • Shell

Lampsplus.com has a great different variety of lighting options!

January 9, 2018 at 1:58 pm Reply
  • Cathy Powers

What’s gorgeous space with incredible views! You are so blessed . I was thinking after watching the video that the room dies need rugs … light colors: creme , white , beige to balance the darkness. Rugs where you can sit or lie on with pillows to dream, compose … etc. Burbury is very durable and /or a shag rugs. They can be area rugs of different sizes. That would be my start in the room
    The pictures from your husband could be moved to occupy a different space vertically and in the area that was there you could add twinkle lights / tiny LED lights covering that wall as you walk in. … fairy lights that are called. Thus would add a lightening dimension to the room. Enough from me… blessed day .. back to work . Cathy

January 9, 2018 at 2:39 pm Reply
  • MSS296

Good Morning,

You addressed several elements, I hope I cover everything. As stated above, there are several easy options for hiding your electrical cords. My husband found a contraption at Best Buy to hide the TV cords and I know there are several other options as well. I feel you definitely need lighting in the room. The current lamps all have dark shades, which only adds to the darkness. I think a smaller desk size lamp (the current one seems a bit overpowering in size) with a lighter shade ( ex: ivory/cream linen) will help to lighten up the room as well as a beautiful ‘rustic glam’ type chandelier either positioned over your desk or a larger ‘whole’ room one to light the space. Lighted sconces positioned around a large print or amazing mirror would also add needed light.
    The room as it is has a more masculine feel with the dark wood and plaid. I think it needs a lighter more glamorous feel, some light ivory colored linen roman shades with a nice embroidered design on the window might add some color and texture to that side of the room, which feels heavier with the furniture, fireplace etc . I think drapery panels will just add more weight to that side of the room. Definitely need a rug to break up the wood floor. I think a light color wool or acrylic blend would hold up nicely. However, a sisal is another very nice option and are very durable and they come in several designs as well as with decorative borders.
    That blank wall adjacent to your desk might look nice with a light color painted credenza with a large print, painting or even mirror above it (which will reflect more light into the room) I think a larger more substantial faux ‘fireplace’ perhaps one with a look of stone & mantel would add a nice focal point to the room as well. Additionally, textured pillows, throws, colorful vases etc.
    I have made two very pretty inspiration boards for you that I think will help you visualize my thoughts but for some reason I am unable to attach them 8/

January 9, 2018 at 4:42 pm Reply
    • Katherine Heigl

These are all fantastic and totally doable suggestions, thank you so much for taking the time to think on this for me! I especially love the idea of adding a chandelier. I think that could help a lot! I agree the desk lamp isn’t quite right and needs something more feminine in it’s place. I love sisal but wonder if there’s a cozier and still durable option?

January 9, 2018 at 10:15 pm Reply
  • Ayesha imam jankhwala

Hello Katherine
    That’s an interesting place you have there . from all the issues you addressed to, I felt the most important thing that needs to be treated is very less natural light , so I feel adding a mirror to the plain wall or to the wall right behind your chair would make it look brighter and wider. The other thing I felt should be changed is the black lamps. They should be replaced to the corners of the room near the blank wall which will again make the room less dark. As it throws light up and down. Now the floor can be treated with a rug but only under the couch leaving the remaining space free. And the wires under the TV if not hidden in the groves can be nailed to the wall in a geometric puzzle and painted shiny to be a wall art in itself. I hope my views do help to make it feel more complete.. Thank you

January 9, 2018 at 8:42 pm Reply
  • Leo Dowell

Hi Katherine, I must say first just to get it out of the way, I am a fan. You are a very talented actor.

Now as a professional (that just means I work for a living) I give you solutions that will address the whole room, not just pieces here and there. As you know when you are dressing, it is the color you wear, the style of the dress, the jewelry, the shoes down to the color of lipstick……it all has to work together. If you address the room as a whole and it is fabulous, you will be glad you did it that way.
    I would like to give you a design approach that addresses each part of what needs correcting so you could walk into the room 10 years from now and not want to change a thing. My approach is total concept, Scale, softness, the amount of light, durability, and of course life style.
    I am going to break down each category and give you my suggestions. I know the ideas are flooding in right now to you, so give me a little time to get answers to you. In the next couple of days, OK?

Leo Dowell is an internationally recognized designer with over 50 years of experience.

January 9, 2018 at 9:24 pm Reply
  • Ann Clark

Hey Katherine,

I’m not a professional designer- but it is a huge passion of mine! I actually live in the wasatch valley as well and love that you have kept the integrity of the area with your space so far. The wood walls and windows are everything. I think the furniture can all work in the space with just a few tweaks. A rug is necessary. Maybe changing out the darker lamps for brighter ones. Adding greenery to the space will also help a lot. A fiddle leaf fig tree would be really nice. And to keep fresh flowers always adds so much life. A few inspiring art pieces or favorite sayings go a long way for inspiration. My motto with design is “less is more” so try not to overwhelm the space with too much! If you like these ideas and wanted me to come in for a day or two and help you change it up without spending a lot of money on the few things you would need let me know. I always find the best design deals in this area! Good luck!

Ann

January 9, 2018 at 11:43 pm Reply
  • Chloe - CSB Interior Design (Australia)

Hi Katherine!
    What a beautiful space!
    I’m sure the many comments have already mentioned some of these ideas, but I’m going to put them forward anyway.
    The artworks already on the wall are beautiful, but I think the black frames are holding them back a little bit. I would suggest a thicker frame in either silver, copper or greys.
    Putting a bookcase on the angled wall is a great idea. I recently saw a beautiful RalphLauren “Victorian Bookcase” in a distressed black with glass doors along the top half. I think this or something similar would work in well with the black furniture pieces already in the space, and the glass doors would reflect the lovely natural light into the room. You could also install some LED lights into the bookcase to help feature the books and add light in the evenings.
    You can put small frames that fit in with the angles of the wall behind your desk. You could also suspend them from the ceiling and have them floating. Another idea is to put drapes on that wall to add a bit of character.
    Lighter coloured drapes on the Windows will help to lighten the space. Beautiful oat colours or greys would work well. It might be a good idea to pick out some of the light colours already in the fabrics in the space and marry in the colour of the drapes with them.
    With a rug on the floor, you could try to find something large enough for the desk and furniture in front of it to all fit. I would suggest going with more natural colours, like a light brown or straw like colour. And perhaps something that has a metallic thread running through it. I love adding metallic accents, especially to darker spaces, as it can really lift the area and help brighten it up. I would also suggest metallic accents in some new cushions for the couch and armchairs. West Elm and Pottery Barn have some beautiful options at the moment.
    Pendant lights above the seating area and the desk will definitely lighten up the space. You could also look at some sconces for the walls.
    There are many places that sell great storage items to hide cords around TVs and Desks. IKEA would have to be the most popular. Another option is putting removable hooks/loops to hide behind the TV for example.
    I hope some of these ideas help! Can’t wait to see the end result!
    Chloe (from Australia)

January 10, 2018 at 12:55 am Reply
  • Christina welch

Hi Katherine. From New York. I spent so much time writing you ideas and then it didn’t post or got lost I will try again in hopes I can remember all the details of my ideas.
    1. Recreate Josh’s art wall with cream matted frames it will help create a light an airy ambiance. The dark matted ones can’t reflect the light or look your trying to create…although they are quite beautiful.
    2. Create a focal point for the room. I would get a larger cream colored fireplace one in which you could adorn with your favorite trinkets.
    3. I think I am sensing you like the color purple. Add bright and vibrant purple pots filled with greenery this will help bring the outdoors inside and add a homey look. You could opt for greenery a stand or in a corner.
    4. Behind your desk area you could opt to have pendant lighting installed or seek an elegant floor lamp using full spectrum light bulbs to achieve the lighting your looking for.
    5. In regards to an area rug don’t go too small think on a larger scale go with either a light color or a vibrant color that ties in with the other colors in the room.
    6. A book shelve good be your little space of happiness to fill with some of your favorite keepsakes. You could go with a standard bookshelf but choose a light colored style or go with a floating bookshelf.
    7. In regards to the cables staples and best buy have covers to hide them or at least make them less noticeable.
    Happy decorating!!!

January 10, 2018 at 1:32 am Reply
  • Christine

I would add drapes light/sheer. Things of texture, rugs, pillows, blankets all on the lighter side of colors. I also think a cool idea would be to lighten the ceiling in some way. You could make it textured or just paint it. As far as art is concerened go with lighter wood or colored frames and maybe something bold that embodies the vibes of the ranch. I would add the larger fire place that fits better under tv. I would get new lighting and lamps as well.

January 10, 2018 at 2:37 am Reply
  • Leo Dowell

The wall paneling: Although dark stained can be rich, if the room is small the darkness will close in the room. A neat fix is to use a lighter color wash over the stained wood. You still enjoy the wood grain while lightening up the room and maybe even creating a more sophisticated finish.
    I will show you in a quick video what this looks like.

I have a basket weave wallpaper that would look fantastic on your ceiling and lighten the room. The basket weave adds interest and would fit between the beamed boards you already have. The basket also doesn’t get away from the ranch style, it is a natural look.

You need color in the area rug, but not too much pattern. A strong pattern would take over the room and make the room seem smaller. But you do need color to lighted and brighten. If the rug is overdyed, it will already be aged and you don’t have to worry about using it.

It would be nice if I had a floor plan of just this room to help with the furniture arrangement.

The lighting has to be addressed with lamps and maybe even a hanging fixture.

The TV could be in a cabinet or at least an upholstered frame. Possibly covered in an Indian flat weave rug.

The fireplace can be more rustic using some local river rock and tree limbs…..I will draw for you.

You should not have a black desk chair, you look great in color. So a color out of the rug could be brought up onto the desk chair, or maybe even covered in the same American Indian rug used for the TV frame.

How am I doing so far?

January 10, 2018 at 2:44 am Reply
  • Madison Morrison

Hi Katherine! I have a few ideas…..
    To brighten the space up you could certainly add some pops of white. However, when your started talking about maybe just enhancing what you already got…. I started thinking about the colours you already have in there… many types of browns, metals, etc. I would certainly play with those, going a few shades lighter when adding decorations and accessories. You mentioned Wayfair, so that is where I found my examples. Here is one: http://bit.ly/2qMZAUw I’m showing you this more for the colour. Although it would look lovely in your office. The material seems to be durable as well. I’m calling it a lighter wood tone. Colours similar would absolutely compliment the walls and floors perfectly, while brightening it up. In the picture, it’s on a darker floor, so it gives you an idea, and it looks great. As you mentioned, cream is an option. The “light wood tone” as I like to call it, is definitely a version of cream. Some soft and dark grays would also look lovely. Copper accessories would also compliment the wood.
    Now my favourite ideas! Some colour! When you showed your husband’s artwork, ideas came flooding. First off, all these ideas would need some light neutral colours mentioned above to compliment while brightening.
    1. shades of red. Example of a rug I love: http://bit.ly/2CQffDQ
    2 Purple. Purple and gray tones would compliment and mix well with the wood and furniture amazingly!
    You could also do a variety of pops of colour and not pick a colour certain pattern. Neutral with pops of colour (Again, inspired by the artwork)
    Speaking of artwork, I would definitely add a few pieces, especially above your desk. Photos would also look beautiful. I love the idea of a giant picture of your family or a beautiful landscape of the ranch on the wall behind your desk.
    I also love the idea of a detailed pattern rug for that room. Options include one that is neutral with colours I have previously suggested, light browns, cream, grays, etc. However, you could also get one that is neutral with a few pops of colour (inspired by your husband’s artwork) or colours from a picked colour pattern. (Again ex. Red or Purple) Or go a little bolder and do one with almost all different tones of ex red or purple. (Like the red rug example I gave). If going with pops of different colours, I love the idea of a plaid colourful (blue, red, yellow, etc) blanket

All of the suggestions I have give are to embrace the room rather than changing it. However, one idea I have, but isn’t just adding colours, accessories, etc, would be to paint the ceiling white. (I couldn’t get a clear view of the ceiling, but I’m assuming it’s dark) It would brighten the room extremely. You would still have all that beautiful wood, but it wouldn’t feel as closed in. If you were to do that, adding pops of white wouldn’t be as stark and bright as they would now.
    Anything you choose to do I’m sure will look amazing!! I hope I helped and gave you some ideas. If you have ideas your unsure about, or have any questions… I would be happy to help further.
    Xxx
    Madison

January 10, 2018 at 6:19 am Reply
  • ROCIO

Dear Katherine,

Maybe if you put some flowers on your desk they will give colour and light, they can be natural or not.
    Also some patchwork tapestry will decorate the walls and you can do it yourself and design it as you prefer.
    I hope you find a nice ideas for your lovely house and family, I’m sure you will find the best things to enjoy, relax and be creative in your room.
    kind regards from Ibiza

Rocío

January 10, 2018 at 10:14 pm Reply
  • Ronda

Hello Katherine! My name is Ronda, owner/finished carpenter of A Woman’s Touch Remodeling LC. First, I must say I am a huge fan of yours…I love all of your movies! You are definitely one of those top “Greats” that a person goes to see a movie just because of the awesome cast! Secondly, when I read your blog post…the ideas for your office have not stopped churning in my head! I have a deep passion for architecture, design and beautiful spaces…what is even better is I have the skill to design and create those spaces. I have functional, practical yet beautiful solutions to help pull your “Almost Perfect Office” together. When I design with clients, it is usually one-on-one and with my excitement I tend to get quite chatty…so, I ask that you allow me a few days to gather all those thoughts and ideas in my head and organize them in a ‘Idea/design board’ format. I will send you my ideas by the end of the week. Have a wonderful evening, Ronda

January 10, 2018 at 11:19 pm Reply
  • Erin

Not sure if my first link posted but here is the plan I created!

January 11, 2018 at 3:20 am Reply
    • Erin

Hey, ok, looks like this comment posted! Anyways, I used to be an interior design major and love to design on my free time, therefore I took this little project and ran with it. Hope you like it! Above is a canva link with a design plan for the office. If you have any questions I’m here! Take a peek! P.S. I am a big fan.

Best, Erin 🙂

January 11, 2018 at 3:24 am Reply
  • MILA

Hi Katherine,
    Mininalist Classic Ranch
    Mode of expression
    1. COLORS – natural white, milk, copper, gold, light gray or baby/ light blue 🙂
    2. FABRIC – velvet, linen, cotton, candles and a little less lamps 🙂
    3. WINDOW – maybe copper curtain rod http://bit.ly/2Ex1k6g
    curtain : white/light gray/baby blue linen sunny summer days or maybe in winter gray/natural white velvet curtain
    Some wooden elements can be painted with chalk paint? just for fun 🙂 I know that the baby blue color is a bit controversial 🙂 but please do not reject it because it fits well with dark wood.
    I wish you joy of change:)
    Mila
    Greetings from Poland

January 11, 2018 at 12:22 pm Reply
  • Sarah Cubis

Wait hold on… one more thing. I think you need greenery…if you don’t want to do a big floor fig plant or something, these with draping hanging plants would be great in a corner spot. I always do odd numbers so maybe 3 different sizes. http://bit.ly/2ARUaXL

Cactus and Tropicals in slc have great hanging plants for partial light spots.
    Ok, going back to my life now

January 11, 2018 at 5:31 pm Reply
  • Sarah Cubis

Not sure if my first comment posted. Anyhoo…I think you need a rug for sure. Been looking at this one For myself but I think it would really work in your space. Saw it in anthro but found it cheaper here. Would bring a little color and brightness but would work with your purples

And I also mentioned that a big mirror to reflect some of the light you do have would be good.

January 11, 2018 at 5:39 pm Reply
  • Carly Moss

Hello Katherine,

As someone who also does a lot of work from home (when I am home, as I travel for a living) I understand the need to feel light and inspired in your office space. I too enjoy deep colors and rich, warm woods, which is the design throughout a majority of my house now. However, when I pushed that vision into my office space, it actually made work harder. I love all the pieces you have already. From the sounds of it though, adding pieces to balance the room out or pushing metals and mirrors onto the walls seems like only a temporary fix. As we are seeing your home in the middle of winter, we’re also seeing it with some of the best lighting it can accomplish, as all that snow outside is reflecting light into your office windows that won’t be there over the summer.

I believe someone may have suggested this already but I would vote for redoing your walls over any design-related additions for now. A light wash or white paint job would automatically reflect natural sunlight and artificial light off the walls. Going white would also allow for you to keep your purple and black toned furniture without needing to thread new elements of design in to pull it all together. Plus, you can keep the element of the working farm/barn design by using a distressed white wood approach as opposed to going full white, if you’d like.

A Safavieh braided rug adds instant appeal and comfort, is durable and reversible (for when one side has seen a little too much action or maybe just for when the guests come over). Everything else should be simple after that.

Just one girls opinion. I also used to work on a farm and I miss the simplicity of it — and every chance I had to wear my Hunter boots. Either way, I look forward to seeing how it comes out. Enjoy the redecorating period!

January 11, 2018 at 8:29 pm Reply
  • Patricia Christian Clayton

I haven’t been able to get. If it works this time I will post my suggestions

January 11, 2018 at 9:52 pm Reply
    • Webmaster

What seems to be the problem? It could be that you are missing the captcha image. On some iPhones there is a bug where the captcha image (a collection of images you have to pick to prove you are human and not a robot) appears at the top of the screen. Some people miss it because they do not scroll up. Hope that helps.

January 11, 2018 at 10:13 pm Reply
  • Sage Bowman, Nantucket Home, Chico, CA

Hi Katherine! It’s so fun to comment on your almost perfect office! I actually have an eerily similar family/adoption/fertility story as you and was going to reach out at some point…but there are other opportunities for that. 🙂 Now, onto your office…I see a lot of houses (I am an interior designer) and as much as I hate to say it, I think you need to paint the panels. Soooo many people don’t want to paint wood…and I don’t blame them. But when you are living in a dark room that is supposed to be light and airy and make the room more creatively fun, then you sometimes have to do things that aren’t your first choice. I briefly read the other comments and I didn’t notice anyone suggesting this. I think just that one (huge) step would do all you are feeling you need to do. And painting panels isn’t so bad…it actually gives normal, flat walls so much depth and texture. I also would definitely suggest a rug (and I have some ideas for that), more art (nice job Josh Kelley!)…and possibly moving around some furniture to get your desk away from the bathroom. That’s it…let me know if you have any questions!

January 12, 2018 at 9:30 pm Reply
  • Svilen

Dear Katherine,
    My name is Svilen Bonev.
    I am architect in architectural studio ”INVICTUS ARCHITECTS”, based in Bulgaria.

Few days ago I saw Your inspiring post in Instagram and I want to share my opinion with You. I created a *.pdf file , named “Your Perfect Office Space”. Here is my full conception, advices and ideas about transforming Your almost perfect space into a perfect one. Please open the link bellow to see all my ideas.

Best regards,
    arch. Svilen Bonev

January 13, 2018 at 1:19 pm Reply
  • Mandy Whitehead

Hi Katherine

I have only just chanced upon this exciting challenge! Despite the fact that you have already received many responses and great ideas, I would love to share mine with you. However, it is rather late on my side of the globe, which is Cape Town in sunny South Africa. I will share my ideas with you tomorrow. Like you I am a nature enthusiast and I hail from one of the most naturally beautiful and diverse locations on this planet! I do hold a Diploma in Interior Design but do not work full-time in the profession (one day though)! Design has been my passion since childhood so this comes straight from the heart. To start, I couldn’t agree with you more, embrace the space and the stunning wooden-panelled walls. It will be a sacrilege to paint them white. Please don’t do it! I look forward to sharing the rest of my suggestions with you tomorrow. Warm regards from the warmth of the African continent and as we say here lala kahle (which means goodnight in Zulu). Can’t wait to get started in the morning!

January 16, 2018 at 11:10 pm Reply
  • Courtney

Hello Katherine!
    I enjoyed this video a lot and you have a beautiful office! I think sticking to the same color scheme thoughout the whole space would look really great.

Another thing might be to hang a rustic and decorative light fixture above your desk, to add light and to substitute for hanging something behind it. Maybe something like this? I don’t know if it is your style:

Lastly, a grander fire place would make the place much more warm and make it feel homier and more complete. Putting it closer and near the middle of where all the chairs are would be better than having it off to the side like it is now. Thank you for making this blog! I love it and you so much and you are such a great inspiration to me!♥️♥️♥️ Thank you!!
    -Courtney 🙂

January 17, 2018 at 2:46 am Reply
  • Rabia

This room has an amazing view and I have got simple ideas to lit it up.
    First, you need mirrors in this room. You can add a mirror right behind your table so it can reflect the entire view of the windows. Or if you’re not very comfortable with that idea so much I would suggest you invest in some mirrored furniture. Like mirrored centre table. Basically you want more reflectors in your room catch and throw the natural light in the room.
    Second, you can try to replace chairs or have it’s cover changed in pastel tones of turquoise or pink with the combination of cream or offwhite.
    Hope it inspires on some level 🙂

January 17, 2018 at 8:46 am Reply
  • Mandy Whitehead

Hi Katherine

I hope that you are having a beautiful day! As promised, attached please find my website link with my decorating and design ideas for your home office (photos included). I hope some of them are of use and inspiring for you. Enjoy! I know that I certainly have had fun helping you!

Warm regards from sunny South Africa!

Mandy

January 18, 2018 at 6:39 pm Reply
  • April

Hi,
    I love your office and all the potential it has. I am not a professional in the design industry just a mom who started designing for myself and some families to not go insane. Seriously, it is my happy place. I find that it destresses me.
    You can do this. Find what you love and play around with it. What texture do you love? What material? Woods, fabrics, metals, stones, what color and shapes? eras? etc. What style do you want? Eclectic, modern, classic traditional, farmhouse, from the look of it you have an apprecitaion for most of these. What is your dream for your office? What do you see when you close your eyes? The sun, nature, art deco, old world, modern art, mirrors or no mirrors, shelves, molding on the ceiling or as is? Do you see your walls a certain color? Do you see a place for your children to cozy up or is it a retreat for you to relax and escape to unwind and regenerate for the next few hours. What do you see and what do you want to feel and does anything in your office color or furniture create this feeling or take away from it. Get to know your space and how it makes you feel and go from there. This is your space you get the say in how it is going to make your day. My space will have touches of the ocean and the feel of a work space for a botonist and oceanographer because I worked in science and grew up near the coast.
    So here are my unqualified suggestions

Small Black Tables: I noticed the small black accent tables you have in front of the sofa and chairs. These tables if you agree could be stripped and stained to match the wood of the legs of your chairs and sofa.

Cushions or throw pillows: added to your space that bring out the piping of your sofa.

Loves Art: I love that you use your loves art I too use my husbands. I would suggest adding some of your childrens art as well.

Walls: can be stained a lighter rustic stain like that of driftwood to remind you of the coast but if you would love to keep them I would suggest adding a custom mirror behind your chair where your desk resides to catch the light, something elegant. Adding sparkle by the touch of mirrors beautifully done can catch the light you crave in this room. If you are completely and totally in love with the color of the wood walls. I would suggest (just suggest) keeping your ceiling that color or just leaving one wall that color as an accent wall.

Main Focal Point:
    Find a spot in the room you want the main focus to be. I would suggest the window area as it is a beautiful view all by itself. So with that being said, do you spend more time at your desk or do you spend more time on your sofa with a laptop? If you spend more time on your sofa I would suggest making the beautiful windows the backdrop to your desk that way you still get that view.

Lighting: google some lighting based on material and what type you would like. I find that pinterest limits my search field. Maybe Adding some crystal lighting on the desk and around may add touches of elegance to the rustic walls and old world desk adding light throughout that is simplistic or elegant or even some light wood with dark metal accent lighting would be fun to tie in those chairs and sofa. I love natural light over artificial because natural is calming. I would do my best to find ways to catch light or lighten the stain of the wood. Adding some wall lighting (not sure if your wiring is set up for sconces but that would be nice too.

Sofa and chairs:
    These set the tone for the print in your office you could work around these.

Desk: I love your desk and would not get rid of that treasure.

Adding warmth:
    Definitly a fire place
    Lighting is a must.
    Layered rugs that are solid or monochrome to not take from the furniture prints.
    Throws and throw pillows
    A wood ladder with throws or a place for throws a bin with wood branches by the fire as well like birch wood. Great to tie in the black accents

Memories: You could also add in some large photos of your family on the ranch or some of your favorite places with them. And some items from those places like a horse shoe or other items you picked up along the way. Adding personal touches brings happy. I noticed I am more happy in my space when I look at my husband and childrens art and photos elegantly placed throughout my workspace. The way you have your husbands art looks great if the backdrop behind them could be lighter in some way.

Daily Encouragement: I would also suggest your favorite sayings or scriptures. Encouragement is the driving force of a tired mama and having favorite sayings up remind us we can, we have and we will! I am so happy for you and wish you the best with your decorating venture, above all else just take the time to enjoy every moment of it and only do what you truly love because this is you and when you dress a room you are telling a story, your story not mine or anyone elses just yours and that is the most beautiful piece of design and art we can put in our homes is our own story. From one mama to another,
    If it makes you smile and lifts your heart when you see it then it is worth it, if its just eh..then it does not belong. 🙂 have fun!!
    blessings to you and yours
    -April of California

January 19, 2018 at 12:51 am Reply
  • Angela

The space definitely needs a rug or two. I would also add some plants and maybe a tree. I think you could add some color with some trrow pillows, maybe a nice chunky throw, and some soft sheer curtains. Add some personal,items like family photos, a favorite piece of art, a sculpture that you,love, a quote that speaks to you. Add some texture and natural,touch with baskets. They can,hold all sorts of things. Definitely change the lighting and have a good one on your desk. Use things for a different use than intended, such as a mug you Love for pencils. Or, a pretty dish to hold post-its or candy, or paper clips. Surround yourself with items you Love to,make the space feel warm, happy, and a place you want to be filled with memories. A bookcase that is not your standard shelves would be great. Maybe a something with different cubbies or different spaces openings that could be used for photos, objects, and personal items as well as books. Add candles, a diffuser, or simnerpot. Smells can relax or evoke so many memories. That’s it for now. You had great suggestions. Can’t wait to see the finished space.

January 26, 2018 at 7:18 am Reply
  • Linda Kirste

Hi Katherine 🙂

I just realized that my really long comment frome some weeks ago did not show up …
    so here we go again

1. I would add some rugs, maybe under each seating area. woven linnen, cream or light grey would be nice, nothing fluffy so that the dirt does not get stuck
    2. Some plants would be nice, some that dont need that much light. maybe some on the desk, growing downwards.
    3. to make the roome seem bigger i would ad one (or three, as the wall seems devided in three parts) miror behind the desk.
    4. some airy maybe semi transparent curtains would be great. maybe only on the very left and very right side to not cover the tv ensemble
    5. I would reframe the drawings with simple white or cream or light grey frames to lighten up that area and give more attention to the drawings.
    6. i would add big picture on the wall at the right of the desk. in my first attempt to comment this post i said some birch trees (the look really cool and light on pictures) but know i think maybe one of your snowy pictures? like the one in the yellow dress or one of those with your family.
    7. add some more pillows, different shades of beige, light grey etc, different textures (go for fluffy if you can, they add so much more comfort) and sizes.
    8. I like your furniture and the sofa and chairs, just add a bit more pepp. i would like the combination of your dark wooden walls with a lot of white.
    The only piece of furniture I would like to exchange though would be the desk. its quite huge and heavy, so why dont go for a more simple one, maybe also in white or plain would with a see through white paint?

Greetings from Germany and lots of fun with all the decorating,
    Linda xx

January 26, 2018 at 6:54 pm Reply
  • Larisa Petcoff

Come on, message… POST! POST!

Hi Katie! This is Larisa from Rosario, Santa Fe, Argentina. I posted my comment here a few days ago but it didn’t go through. I won’t give up, though! I hope you read this before you “Suit up” haha. Congrats, by the way!

I worked really hard to give you the office of your dreams! I know what your soul is craving for! 🙂 Check your Twitter account, please. On January 28th, I sent you 6 messages with photos -named “OFFICE – PARTS 1 TO 6”. Look for my (ranch office video) screenshots with my AWESOME notes on them!! 🙂

As I mentioned on Facebook, you are my Muse! ♥ You inspired me to follow my dreams so, for the past year and a half, I’ve been working really hard to launch my online woodworking business from home and LIVE THE DREAM! Right now, I’m developing my Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign.

You gave me your ♥ on FB when I wrote to you, on your birthday post (you were having dinner with your mom and sister) and that made me love you even more! And yes, I screamed haha.

You’re the sweetest, most honest and real celeb out there (apart from our friend, Sandra Bullock of course haha). I’ve been following you since “My father, the hero”!! I’m 41 now. 🙂 I’m so proud of you and everything you’ve accomplished so far.

Many hugs!
    Lari

February 1, 2018 at 7:12 pm Reply
  • Kyla

Hi Katherine!

I know this reply is probably late and you have already started decorating but hey. I just stumbled upon your blog. Really fun and inspiring. Thanks for the warmth you share. Anyway I have to agree the room is dark but full of potential. I would definitely hand light curtains and some mirrors to reflect light. Maybe you could do a panelled pin board behind your desk? Since it is an office and creative space. Lighter throws and scattered cushions. Lighter frames on your hubby’s art. And plants defo! What about just painting the ceiling in a lighter shade? You would be surprised what a difference that could make. Remember colour is just refracted light. So the more whiter shades you put in the more light will naturally refract. And yes definitely a bigger fire place…I mean it’s Utah! I think you could think of getting whiter furniture ie instead of wooden coffee tables etc. You could even get someone to paint any bits of dark wood on some of your existing furniture. I know some ppl think it is heracy to paint wood but we do it all the time! Best of luck. X

February 13, 2018 at 6:53 am Reply
  • Alice Lane Interiors

Katherine,

Your home is beautiful! We’re wishing we saw this sooner! Alice Lane would love to help in anyway to make this your dream space. We are based in Salt Lake City, Utah so location couldn’t be any better. Our team is currently designing Rachel Parcell’s new home, we saw your BBG post inspired by her, which was amazing by the way! Please let us know if you’re interested!

Here’s our contact info
    801-359-4482
    designrequests@alicelanehome.com

February 19, 2018 at 9:38 pm Reply
  • Stacie Graves

We’d love to come out and do a consultation with you! We’d be happy to talk over some solutions and put together a plan of action!!! We have loads of resources for everything from rugs to lighting, art, pillows, millworkers, etc.

Call/text/email any time!

Best,
    Stacie

Stacie Graves
    EDIT design HOUSE
    801-391-0695
    stacie@editdesignhouse.com
    Insta: @editdesignhouse

February 21, 2018 at 5:45 am Reply
  • Thamiris

Katie, I’m your fan, completely in love with you! I have a fan page and was wondering if I can post your blog posts on it. You are an incredible human being! I love you.

April 27, 2018 at 6:42 pm Reply
    • Thamiris

*I want to know if I can publish your blog posts on my page. Sorry English, I’m Brazilian. Brazil loves you

April 27, 2018 at 6:46 pm Reply