Taking A Break To Save Grace

I have recently had to make the hard decision to take a break from the blog. It is not a decision I come by lightly. The blog has been a true source of creativity, passion and connection for me and I have loved every second of it. However, in late September my constant companion Gracie Lou was diagnosed with a brain tumor. Doctors told us that we needed to make an immediate decision about whether to take our chances with brain surgery or let Gracie go. Josh and I decided to give Gracie a shot at survival and opted for the brain surgery. Now, several months after the surgery and radiation treatments, we are spending a majority of our time tending to Gracie’s post op needs. It has been time consuming, worrisome and often heartbreaking but I am determined to give Gracie everything I’ve got to help her heal. She has been an incredible source of comfort, companionship, loyalty, love and joy for me from the moment I adopted her and I know in my soul I owe her as much as I can give in return. So, something else must give if I am to make Gracie a priority in an already busy, kid filled life. Since I can’t really table the whole mothering thing, it is the blog that must take a back seat. Every day brings with it minor but important improvements in Gracie’s behavior and health and I am hopeful that by the new year she will be back to her old self and I will be back to sharing all my Heavenly Days inspiration with you! Thank you for your continued support, your good wishes and your loyalty. May this holiday season bring you an abundance of peace, joy, love and laughter. See you in 2018!

You Might Also Like

25 Comments

• Mon

recovery soon !!! They are a great person .. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !! blessing and health
    Kiss from Argentina

December 1, 2017 at 12:10 pm Reply
  • Lauren

Poor Grace! How lucky is she to have such a devoted mum?

Wishing her a speedy recovery, and you and yours a Merry Christmas.

December 1, 2017 at 12:41 pm Reply
  • Monica

Aw Katie, don’t worry about us we’ll be here when you can come back for the blog. I hope everything goes well for Gracie and that she’ll get back to her normal sweet self
    Happy Holidays to you guys and sending tons of good vibes for you all

December 1, 2017 at 12:44 pm Reply
  • Melanie

It’s so heartbreaking when our pets suffer! We just adopted our second dog (an older chihuahua) and it’s such a honor to be able to love and care for him. I will be praying for a Christmas miracle for your family.

December 1, 2017 at 1:29 pm Reply
  • Syuzanna

Dearest Katherine,

Thank you for sharing yet another personal piece of your life! I wouldn’t expect less from you in this situation! I wish fast recovery and healthy happy years to your puppy ( I call all dogs puppy)! I have no doubt that your healing love is doing its magic and soon you will be able to harvest the fruit!
    I have a Yorki/ Pomeranian myself and would do the same for him! They are more than dogs, they become best friends, they comfort without words and feel our pain and happiness!
    May the holiday joy keep your spirits high!
    Love,
    Syuzan

December 1, 2017 at 2:06 pm Reply
  • Lynda Chamblin

My heart is just breaking for you! My prayers are with you & totally understand what your going through! Take care of yourself & will miss you but look forward to the new year❣️ Again all my love & prayers to you Katie♥️♥️♥️♥️

December 1, 2017 at 4:09 pm Reply
  • Christine Bello

Love your articles and I am so sorry about your Grace, but it sounds like you are giving her a great second chance. YL Frankincense Essential oil is safe for dogs and this would be an amazing oil to have her on along with her other meds. Frankincense his high in Sesquiterpenes which have the ability to break the blood/brain barrier and clean damaged cells and shrink. If you have any questions please email csbello@msn.com Praying for a totally recover for Grace!

December 1, 2017 at 4:38 pm Reply
  • Traci Gendron

My heart breaks for Gracie. We can certainly wait for the blog to start up. I will keep you all in my prayers. That Gracie does well, you get a nice break, and time with your family.

December 1, 2017 at 6:33 pm Reply
  • Erin Ortiz

This story breaks my heart. Sending love and prayers for Gracie’s recovery. XOXO

December 1, 2017 at 6:40 pm Reply
  • Erin

This breaks my heart – sending all of my positive thoughts to Gracie and your family. <3

December 1, 2017 at 6:45 pm Reply
  • Tricia

Prayers for your beautiful Gracie to heal quickly and completely ♡
    Will miss your blog but truly understand!
    Hope your Christmas and New year will be filled with many blessings!
    Until then thank you soo much ♡
    Tricia

December 1, 2017 at 7:36 pm Reply
  • Danielle G.

Katherine,

We lost our family dog to cancer 12 years ago. Surgery was not an option for him. I wish Gracie Lou a speedy recovery. Animals become such a huge part of our lives and I feel that they give us so much in return for what little we give them. My thoughts go out to you are your family.

December 1, 2017 at 8:03 pm Reply
  • Raven

Poor baby sending all of my positive thoughts to Gracie and your family.

December 1, 2017 at 8:36 pm Reply
  • jacqueline luna

ALL OF YOU, TAKE CARE…

December 1, 2017 at 10:06 pm Reply
  • Cathy P

Praying for her all good. I can do reiki from a distance if you would permit me to. ( studied as a reiki master ) I would need you to allow that.
    Cathy

December 1, 2017 at 10:14 pm Reply
  • Teresa Smith

Heartbroken for you, and so in agreement with the approach you are taking to Grace’s illness. She is so precious. Wishing you a peaceful and happy holiday. Looking forward to 2018 as well!

December 2, 2017 at 12:02 am Reply
  • Rita Stojanovic

Katherine,
    I cried as I watched your video. Grace is so lucky to have you. Our pets are like family and it hurts our hearts when they become sick. I will most definitely keep her in my prayers. Stay strong and do all you can. God bless you for being you.

December 2, 2017 at 12:16 am Reply
  • Jillian

So sorry to hear of this, our fur babies having any suffering is so heart wrenching, prayers for your sweet girl and all of you. We will be fine out here, you are doing the right thing. Beautiful Grace.

December 2, 2017 at 1:33 am Reply
  • Hannah

Wish you and your family all the best. Lots of love and prayers from MO!

December 2, 2017 at 2:09 am Reply
  • Lonnie Parmelee

Katherine and Family hope your little fur baby heals. Should know that God has a place for all of his creatures. Will be here when you and all of your family are ready. Merry And Happy Holidays.

December 2, 2017 at 4:09 am Reply
  • jami

Sending you all and Gracie love and good wishes. Our love for our pets is like no other – so thankful she has you there to comfort her.

December 2, 2017 at 3:53 pm Reply
  • Donna

Take all the time you need. We will all be here when you get back. Prayers for Gracie and the family

December 5, 2017 at 4:11 am Reply
  • Natalie

We all understand and love you Katherine! Sending prayers your way. Have a merry Christmas

-natalie

December 7, 2017 at 2:43 pm Reply
  • Lorena F.

Her sensitivity to people and animals is beautiful. I admire you!

December 9, 2017 at 5:46 pm Reply
  • Carina

Saving Grace! I like that.

Someone once said that Gods grace is what fills the gap between what is possible for us and what He requires of us.

May God grant you the strength and the wisdom to fill the gap for Gracie.

December 11, 2017 at 7:10 am Reply