New Years Resolutions

I haven’t done New Year’s resolutions in years. In my mid twenties I decided they were chock full of added pressure to be perfect and I was already plagued with plenty of perfectionist anxiety. This year however, I changed my mind. There was something calling me to put down in writing just a handful of things I’d like to resolve to do. This isn’t a “go big or go home” kind of resolution list. It is a quieter, subtler one that I truly believe I can achieve. It is a list of five things I resolve to do, not want to do or hope to do or intend to do. I resolve to do…I will do, because I actually can.

1. I Resolve To Commit To Three Days A Week Of Self Care.

What does that mean? Well, to me it means that I am determined to carve time out of my day just three days a week to do something for my mind, body or soul. I could have said three days a week of exercise or meditation or sacred ritual or pampering or journaling but I figured “self care” kind of encompasses all of that and all of that is what I mean.

2. I Resolve To Practice My Spirituality At Least Once A Week.

When I was a kid that meant attending church for three hours every Sunday. Now, it may still mean attending church on Sunday or it may mean skipping church and instead gathering my kids and husband around me to say a family prayer, burn some incense and set some positive intentions for the day, the week or the year. It may mean downloading Joel Osteen’s latest sermon and spending twenty minutes holed up behind closed doors to listen and experience his spiritual insight without interruption. It could even mean going for an hour long walking meditation where I drink in the glory of the heavens in the air around me. Whatever I decide it means on the day I choose to honor my resolution I will be sure that it is something that brings me closer to the grace, inspiration and blessings that are mine.

3. I Resolve To Read At Least One Book A Month That Inspires, Moves Or Simply Entertains Me.

Before kids, the blog, DIY and let’s be totally honest, the damn cell phone I used to read at least two to three books a month. I could crack open a book right after breakfast, make myself comfortable on the couch or even laying prone in bed, book held in arms straight above me and not move from that position for hours except to pee or eat. By dinner time I’d be more than half way through and if it was a really good book I’d stay up until the wee hours of the morning to finish it. Good God I miss those days! Though they are gone until the last of my children leave the nest, I know if I put my phone away at night instead of scrolling through my news feed, or Instagram or crushing one more level of Candy Crush I would have time to get through at least two to four chapters of a good book before sleep overtakes me. I may not be able to dedicate an entire day to reading as I once did but I sure as hell can dedicate a few hours a week! The inspiration, clarity, enlightenment and entertainment I used to glean from all my reading made me a better, more educated and compassionate person. I’d like to get back to her this year and I resolve to do so.

4. I Resolve To Commit At Least Two Days A Week To My Writing Either By Doing Or By Learning.

I want to write. Maybe my love of books and stories is what set that particular candle burning but I really want to write. This blog has been an incredible opportunity for me to do just that but now I want to take it further. I want to try writing all kinds of things. Fiction, non fiction, short stories, long stories, essays, screenplays. I might be total crap but I’m tired of letting the fear of being total crap keep me from even trying. So I am determined this year to start putting in my 10,000 hours either by taking classes, reading how to’s or just doing it already. When a passion for something burns so deeply in you that it’s still smoldering twenty years after you first had the thought then I think you have to just go for it. The outcome doesn’t even really matter at this point. It’s more about honoring the fire and fanning the flame.

5. I Resolve To Taking At Least One Night A Month To Put My Husband And My Marriage First.

I bet a lot of us have got this one on their list. It’s pretty common I think to let kids, households, jobs, chores, workouts, dinners, groceries, friends, and pretty much everything else come before your spouse or your marriage. Josh and I are usually pretty good about reeling it back it when the marriage starts to slide but I want to need less reeling and have more date nights! I want us to get out of the house for an evening and make it about us, not fall exhausted into the couch in front of the tv cocktail in hand once the kids are in bed. Once a month someone else will help us put our children to bed and we will sty out late at our favorite restaurant eating dessert, sipping another drink and calling Uber to take us home.

I’m not sure I’ll stop with just these five and I’m not sure if I’ll stick to the rule of resolutions being a start of the new year tradition. Who’s to say that I can’t set a new resolution every month. Maybe every week if I want. I’ve already got a couple more brewing that should be written down. Like my need to spend more of my time living and focusing on the moment. Or my desire to spend an entire day by myself every once in awhile. I haven’t decided if I resolve to do these things or not, I’m being very mindful of not overwhelming myself with tasks, or to do’s because that would just defeat the purpose. The beauty of resolutions though is that they are entirely within our own control. We can set them, do them, not do them, set a few more, change them or bag them all together and the only person we have to answer to about them is ourselves. So I might regal you all with a few more next month, and the one after but I’ll let you know how these are coming first! Happy New Year my crafty friends! Here’s to two thousand great-teen!!

You Might Also Like

15 Comments

• Alek Felis

Hello Katherine!
    How is Gracie?! I was worried.
    One of my resolution for this year is to follow more strict few blogs and this is on the top of course. Thank you for the inspiration you are!

January 15, 2018 at 7:38 am Reply
  • Barbara Reeves

I could not agree with you more on every aspect of this blog! Except maybe (smile) following faith daily. It keeps me sane. I joke that it keeps me from killing people (grin).

I promise if I see a book on a shelve in the store with your name as author, I will read it.

I hope you and your family have a great year.

January 15, 2018 at 2:38 pm Reply
  • Marta Madrid

I agree with three of your resolutions and I haven’t got resolutions for years but mine are similar to yours!
    – writing and making my publishing business work ( 2 days a week) I have published a book from another author but why not publish my own writing?
    – to read one book a month ( I could not do it last year because I bought a new flat and moved)
    – Three days exercising a week, or I like your self-care resloution.

January 15, 2018 at 2:51 pm Reply
  • Danielle G.

Hi Katherine,

Those are some great resolutions. I like how each has a special meaning to you and how you have allotted time for them (i.e. one day a week). The timeframes are manageable so that they are not overwhelming.

All the best in 2018!

P.S. I am also wondering how Grace is doing. I hope she is doing better.

January 15, 2018 at 3:03 pm Reply
  • Marcia

Hi Katherine, Thank you got your inspiration! I love reading your blog, don’t stop writing! God bless you and your family this coming year!

January 15, 2018 at 4:13 pm Reply
  • Dora Avramioti

Hello Katherine!
    I am a big fan of you from Greece.
    I love that you share thoughts and moments of your life.
    I agree that every woman has to spend time on her own;i feel much better since when i started doing this.Can it be the hour after the girls go to bed?Or just walking around at the shops?Or reading a book?
    I just do it & feel perfect!
    Keep going! <3

January 15, 2018 at 5:42 pm Reply
  • Carolanne Kilichowski

Hi there!
    Once a month with hubby is NOT enough. Once a week is more like it to touch base and just
    be hubby and wife. I know this lady who has 13 kids…..a few grandchildren so many are older now
    but she takes a day a week for a date with hubby. It is VERY important. I had a pilgrimage co.
    and took my husband whenever I could. I went to most of France, north to south, Rome and she Italian cities, Medjugorje in Croatia, Spain, and the Holy Land was the best!!!
    Now because of age and his health I can no longer travel with him. He has dialysis twice a week and it is impossible. I would love to be with him in Rome. I love that city and the first movie he took me to was, “Rome Adventure!” LOL ask him to sit through a romantic movie now!!! But anyhow I count my blessing as I had the love of his guy since I was 14(now 70 EEEEK)! So take it from experience….ENJOY while you can. Life goes buy all too fast.
    I can’t believe it. And people say the older you get the faster time goes….it sure feels that way.
    Please know your are in my prayers every day. I am a Catholic girl who loves my faith.
    Take care and God bless you and your family. All the best in 2018!!!

January 16, 2018 at 9:20 pm Reply
  • Rhonda Huber

I am so excited to have found your blog via instagram. I have been catching up on some of your old posts and they make me love you even more. I love that you have a close relationship with your mom, my daughters and I are very close too!
    I love that you are authentically you and you are humble and kind (exactly how I imagined you in “real life”).
    Anyway, I am a semi retired interior designer from Long Beach, CA and I especially enjoy spending my free time being creative. Your request for help with your office has me so inspired. I would love to help you out with some ideas and visual photos of your space. I just need still shot’s to accomplish it. I tried screenshots from your video and the quality wasn’t good enough. Here is an idea of what I am talking about, A video I created for a client: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wETebeHCoQ
    Wishing you a 2018 that spills over with unexpected Blessings,
    Rhonda

January 16, 2018 at 10:43 pm Reply
  • Lomasluv

My focus on living a better life mirrors your list for the most part.I love your view on fear.I’ve gotten a lot better at conquering my fears this past year,so I completely get you there.I’ve realized self care is totally important as well. I have taken to spending a night or two at little inn with my s/o. I try to do it each month.It enables me to cope much better with life in general in a happier ,peaceful frame of mind.
    I wish you well with the things you would love to accomplish this year.☺

January 18, 2018 at 4:20 pm Reply
  • Carlyle

I recently tried to use your ‘contact me’ page, and my message wouldn’t send. Just an FYI. Happy New Year!

January 18, 2018 at 5:04 pm Reply
    • Webmaster

Hi sorry to hear you had difficulty. Did you receive an error message at all? If you were using a mobile device please sometimes a captcha window appears (when you tick I am not a robot) that requires you to choose certain images to prove you are human and not a spammer. Unfortunately this can sometimes appear at the top of the screen and people do not always notice it if they have to scroll up. IF you are able to double check that would be great! Thanks!

January 18, 2018 at 5:08 pm Reply
  • Syuzanna

Dearest Katherine,
    Thank you for sharing your deepest thoughts with us! I love the idea of “ to resolve”! I gave up on making resolutions a while back due to difficulties to stick to the promise throughout the year… however, this year, after my husband got me an organizer ( which he didn’t think was an organizer haha), I decided to start hitting down my goals and how I’d like to improve myself. Your list is very doable and inspired me to create a few of my own ( similar to yours). Yes, we need to dedicate time to ourselves! I have a 3 year old and expecting another boy anytime now, so I can hardly imagine what my life will look like in a month under the weight of household care, raising children, pet care, and preparing for GRE exam…
    I’d like to suggest something, in 3 months from now, would you write another post reflecting on the list? Meaning, a simple follow up to see whether it is working to stick to the list..
    always yours,
    Syuzanna

January 19, 2018 at 1:20 pm Reply
  • Ann Nelson

Love all these resolutions, especially committing yourself to to one day a week to your spirituality. Love that ❤️. I do let that slip through my fingers more than I’d like. I found that these daily devotionals of personal stories others tell (they are in my email every morning) give me some insight, sometimes cheer me up, but definitely helps me start my day. Thanks for sharing your resolutions.

January 21, 2018 at 1:14 pm Reply
  • Joanne Gonzalez

I am very glad to have found your blog. You are a kindred spirit. I am a new to the blogging world and I intend to do just the same thing you do: write my thoughts, embrace the woman I am created to be, inspire people. I can also connect to you because of one other thing, I share my own adoption story and I just love your perspective about it, your advocacies. It’s amazing how being in your blogsite gives me a fountain of inspiration and so much positive vibes. Let grace t ake over always and may this blog be even more fruitful than it is already. Thanks, Katherine.

January 30, 2018 at 2:52 am Reply
  • Ivona

Dear Katherine,
    Every time I read your blog, there is such warmth and lovinglly beautiful atmosphere. These are so wonderful decisions. I hope you will be happy doing all this stuff you have written down. As you said: “The beauty of resolutions though is that they are entirely within our own control. We can set them, do them, not do them, set a few more, change them or bag them all together and the only person we have to answer to about them is ourselves.”. This is a great thought and I couldn’t agree more.
    Oh, and I like the pictures with the mountains.. I am also a nature lover and according to me, you have a perfect choice of place to live, your house and decor, the surrounding, your family style. I like it all 🙂 And I am so happy that you share this so humbly with the people who really admire you and your work.

Sending you much love, and I keep following your blog.

Ivona