Knitting Projects I Actually Completed!

Remember when I posted the knitting projects I was inspired to start back in October…well, I finally finished a couple of them and added a few as well. I wanted to share them with you so you could see how beautifully they turned out in hopes they will inspire your next project. Like I mentioned in that earlier post I tend to gravitate towards simpler, chunky knit projects that move quickly and offer up a kind of instant gratification. I veered off my usual big yarn, big needle path to try knitting up some baby socks. Once I got the hang of them they are an absolute breeze to make and still give you that instant gratification thing seeing as they only take about an hour or two to make. That’s if you don’t get distracted by the million other things calling your attention. I haven’t devoted as much time as I’d like to knitting the last few months and I’ve been really feeling the call of the creative yarn art calling to me. I’d love any and all suggestions you fellow knitters out there might have for a few great, easy to travel with projects I could dive into! I’ll be on planes quite a bit the next month or so and always find that time, strapped in a seat with nowhere else to go and nothing else to do, a fantastic time to start a new project. For links to the Azel Pullover, the neck warmer and matching hat, and Little Man’s Harvard inspired sweater check out my post “What’s in My Knitting Basket This Month”.

The Azel pullover turned out to not only be beautiful but a perfect fit and color for Miss Naleigh.
Thankfully I finished it in time to keep her warm during a big snow storm!
I decided to get a little creative with the socks and added some pops of color and will probably do the same on the next pair.
Too bad the moment I put them on him he rips them off...ingrate!
My niece Maddie loves darker, richer colors. I get why, they're striking on her.
I was able to complete both the hat and neck warmer in record time. They were the perfect last minute Christmas gift.
I absolutely love how great this sweater turned out. So quick and easy and still adorable.
I'm also really pleased with how well my first attempt at modifying a pattern turned out. The little detachable collar works perfectly.
You Might Also Like

11 Comments

• Cathlene Uhl

I love seeing your completed projects! Your post in October inspired me to knit up a bunch of gifts for Christmas, but I have also taken a bit of a break and need to get back to it. Life just gets crazy sometimes and I feel guilty sitting down to knit when there’s a million other things I *should* be doing. I love the pullover you made—she looks great!—and the socks are so sweet. I’m hoping to knit a baby sweater for a friend’s new baby this summer, but I’ve never done one before so I’m nervous it won’t go well, or at least well enough to actually give to her. My other project goal is a lightweight triangle shawl. There are so many pretty patterns out there. The warmer weather used to deter me from knitting, but this year I decided to try and knit something lighter. We will see if these get finished!

A couple of my favorite patterns that are quick knits are the Tivoli slouch hat, which I’ve made 2 of for myself, and the Present cowl. I love how the ridges make it look a little fancy, but it’s really an easy project—perfect for a plane ride. Going anywhere fun?

March 30, 2018 at 1:04 pm Reply
  • Tammy

Well done! I think I will need one of my own Azel pullovers! Thank Miss Naleigh for modeling, she looks beautiful in her new pullover. I’m working on BRIOCHEALICIOUS by Andrea Mowry. It’s a shawl (I like to use like a cowl around my neck) and I’m learning a new stitch, the Brioche stitch. It’s not too hard. It would be a good plane project.

March 30, 2018 at 1:18 pm Reply
  • Syuzanna

Dearest Katherine,
    Beautiful work! Love the sweater on Joshua Jr., and the striking Scarlett pullover on Ms. Naleigh is breathtaking! And your nieces hat/scarf colors highlight her beautiful skin and eyes perfectly! You should start a DIY fashion line! I have to look up how to knit socks. Although we didn’t have much snow this winter, it still was cold and knitted socks were in high demand! Currently, I’m trying to find an artistic and easy to follow pattern for a cardigan… Have you ever made one? Any suggestions? Thank you!
    Lots of travel means new projects, right? Any sneak pick on what’s coming?
    Love,
    Suzan

March 30, 2018 at 2:52 pm Reply
  • Ruby Corman

Hi Katherine ,
    I love all your knitting projects . Sadly I can’t offer you any ideas as I just can’t get the hang of knitting . Believe me , I’ve tried but reading patterns is like math , my eyes glaze over !
    I’m so excited you’re joining Suits ! I’m binge watching season 6 right now . Wishing you all the best and hope that you enjoy your stay in ” Tronno ” as we say ! I lived there for 12 years and go back often to visit family . I can recommend the Art Gallery of Ontario ( AGO ) and the boardwalk in the Beach . One of my favorite things to do was ride my bike around Ashbridge’s Bay in the morning . It is so relaxing to watch the sun comes up over the lake ( when you don’t have those early morning calls ) . Happy Easter to you and your family and all the best on Suits .❤

March 30, 2018 at 7:19 pm Reply
  • Lisa Edds

Hey Katherine, I call my self a simple knitter. I follow simple patterns and knit blankets, hats, and washcloths. I follow this pattern and use a thick baby yarn to knit washcloths. I give them as baby gifts along with some baby wash. My new mommy friends say these washcloths are awesome. I think your niece looks a lot like you 🙂

March 31, 2018 at 2:08 am Reply
  • Carina

Well done on finishing so many projects!
    I love knitting and crocheting blankets, but it take ages to complete, so at any given time I have a few WIP’s (Works-In-Progress). I found these lovely collapsible burlap-baskets in which I stash my projects, so I grab the one I’m in the mood for and everything I need is in it. Some WIP’s are more challenging, others are almost mindless, something you can do while binge-watching a series (I’ve only just discovered Downton Abbey!)
    Why don’t you design your own blanket while traveling? You can either knit blocks in different stitch-combinations (great way to learn new stitches!) or work on strips/panels in stead of blocks, about the same size as a scarf.
    The Patons Open Window Afghan (free!) pattern is made up of panels, here is a link to the picture:
    and here is a link to the pattern:
    This is a lovely stitch sampler afghan designed by Martin Storey, originally a mystery KAL (knit-A-Long), but all the squares are now available (and still free!):
    Remember to check with the airline if they will allow your knitting needles in your carry-on. If in doubt, don’t take your favourite heirloom knitting needles, in case they get confiscated!
    Warm Regards
    Carina

March 31, 2018 at 10:00 am Reply
  • Kathy Welsh

Love your completed projects, thanks for sharing! I love the Azel Pullover, so cute! It’s always inspiring to see what other knitters are working on. So, on to travel knitting. Socks are a great travel project! They fit comfortably in a carry on and don’t take up much space. A pattern I really like is from Tin Can Knits called Rye. It uses DK/worsted weight yarn, so unlike regular socks the pattern knits up really fast. I made a pair for my mom and she loves them!

March 31, 2018 at 3:02 pm Reply
  • Gaille Smith

Good morning, I did try to post but not sure what happened.

Here is a link to a magazine that has lovely patterns in it, you are sure to find one that will keep you occupied on your flights.

Hope you had a wonderful Easter.

Gaille

April 2, 2018 at 10:09 pm Reply
  • Audra Finoro

Love this scarf! Knit a bigger one to use as a wrap. Very easy, but not boring.

Have knit many of these… the finished fabric is beautiful and the colours are fun.

This shawl was also a lot of fun to knit.

Love your blog!
    Audra

April 4, 2018 at 2:38 pm Reply
  • Vicki

I have been an aspiring knitter for some time now, purchased all the tools, drooled over the patterns, but I’ve never started. I love seeing your completed projects, it’s time I got my supplies out and started my first project.

April 7, 2018 at 4:59 am Reply
  • Caroline

Thanks for the update! I was curious how they all turned out. I couldn’t pick just one pattern and all the ones I thought of are kind of old patterns. For your little guy you can do these pants… https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/kanoko-pants . For any girl you can do these fingerless gloves… https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/magical-fingerless-mitts—handpainted-yarn and maybe for you this owl sweater in chunky yarn… https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/owls-9 . I would have my done a lot quicker but I decided my husband deserved a sweater after putting several years into our relationship (and it’s in worsted)!
    I look forward to the transitions to your blog! Happy knitting

April 13, 2018 at 2:44 am Reply