A Badlands Birthday!
July is a month where I get to celebrate the two most important women in my life. My mother and my sister. With their birthdays just a week a part I kinda have my hands full planning parties, dinners or some type of celebration that honors them. This year my sister was able to make it up to the mountains to attend my mother’s party at the ranch and while she was here I managed to plan a fun pool day party to celebrate her birthday as well. Two parities in one week had us eating more than our share of cake but it was well worth it to get to show the women I love just how much they mean to me. Here’s a look at my mother’s party. I hope my ideas will help inspire your next fete!
I worked with my favorite catering company Magleby’s to come up with a ranch to table menu inspired by all the fruits and veggies growing in our greenhouse and garden. The results were not only delicious, fresh and organic but absolutely gorgeous as well. Almost too pretty to eat…almost.
Passed Hors d'Oeuvres
- Caprese Bites: Fresh specialty pulled mozzarella balls, fresh basil leaves, assorted hybrid cherry tomatoes, drizzled with aged balsamic and olive oil.
- Marinated Mint Cantaloupe: Fresh perfectly square cut cantaloupe, marinated overnight in mint and drizzled with fresh lime juice.
- White Bean Bruschetta: Homemade white bean bruschetta with pine nuts, served on mini toast topped with sprigs of fresh baby dill.
Table Top Hors d'Oeuvres
- Specialty Cured Meats, Olives, with Fresh Mozzarella di Bufala – Speck, hot soppressata, salame gentile, prosciutto, fresh large buffalo mozzarella drizzled with olive oil – garnished with fresh sprigs of rosemary and thyme and whole olives.
- Golden, Striped, and Red Beet Salad tossed in arugula, pistachio pansy, goat cheese, with balsamic drizzle.
- Watermelon, Prosciutto, Pecorino Romano Bites: Drizzled with olive oil and garnished with fresh herbs.
Passed Petite Salads
- Cucumber & Pea Shoot Salad with banana pepper, mint, feta radish, olive oil, and lime.
- Fresh Garlic Orzo Salad in a Acorn Squash bowl.
- Frisée tossed with heirloom tomato slices, bush beans, asparagus, nicoise olives, medley potato, eggs, radish.
Passed Petite Entrées
- Plum glazed salmon with a radish sprout garnish.
- Pomegranate glazed airline chicken wrapped in pancetta with orange cranberry relish and sage brown butter (beurre noisette).
- Petite Tenderloin Crostini with whipped goat cheese and chocolate sauce, and sliced chocolate cherry tomato.
- Pot de crème with raspberry glaze around the edge of the shooter and topped with a fresh raspberry and a gold spoon.
- Fresh Berries & Cream: Fresh blackberries, raspberries, strawberries and blueberries served with Magleby’s homemade custard cream – garnished with a fresh mint leaf.
- 3 Layer Tower Lemon Coconut Cake with sugared coconut on the outside.